The History of Holy Trinity

 

The congregation of Holy Trinity began meeting in September of 1983 at Christ Lutheran Church in Hot Springs Village. On February 2, 1984, the church was admitted to the Diocese as a Mission. The Rev. James R. McLean, Jr., then Rector of St. Luke’s church in Hot Springs, and other priests of the diocese conducted services each Saturday night until February 1986, when the Rev. Thomas A. Sifford was appointed Vicar of Holy Trinity.

 

The first phase of constructing Holy Trinity Episcopal Church on Barcelona Road was started in 1987 and consecrated May 29, 1988. This portion of our church is now the parish hall, and is named Sifford Hall.

 

The current church worship center was designed and constructed in 1995/1996 and was dedicated September 8, 1996. This building is a traditional style Episcopal design attached to the original structure. The entrance includes a Red Door leading into the nathex then the nave which can seat about 250 worshipers. The beautiful stained glass windows, depicting the 14 Stations of the Cross, were installed in 1999 and blessed March 9, 2000. The large stained glass windows, “He is risen”, were installed over the chancel in 2007 and dedicated in September, 2007.  

 

Trinity Episcopal Church of Pine Bluff gave the Altar and reredos (decorations behind the Alter) to Holy Trinity. The Altar and reredos were built in 1870 by Bell and Bocage of Pine Bluff, for Trinity and used there until 1931, at which time they were given to St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in McGehee. In 1955, they were returned to Trinity, Pine Bluff. Holy Trinity accepted these gifts shortly after construction had begun in 1987. Our own parishioners re-finished the Altar and reredos, true heirlooms of God.

Note:  The Historical Timeline section below is looking for a good design.  Work in Progress. Looking for input from long time parishioners.

June – Village Episcopalians met with Archdeacon Richard Milwee about becoming a mission.
Sept. 17 – The Reverend James McLean started a 5 p.m. service for Episcopalians at Christ Lutheran Church in Hot Springs Village.
December – A petitioned was submitted to the Right Reverend Herbert Donovan, Bishop of Arkansas, to become a mission.

Feb. 24th – A petition to become a mission was approved and Rev. McLean was appointed priest-in-charge.
July 14th – Bishop Donovan made his first visit to Holy Trinity.
September – A search committee was formed to find a permanent full time priest.

Historical Timeline

1983


June – Village Episcopalians met with Archdeacon Richard Milwee about becoming a mission.


Sept. 17 – The Reverend James McLean started a 5 p.m. service for Episcopalians at Christ Lutheran Church in Hot Springs Village.


Dec. – Petitioned the Right Reverend Herbert Donovan, Bishop of Arkansas, to become a mission.

1984


Feb. 24 – Petition to become a mission approved and Rev. McLean was appointed priest-in-charge.


July 14 – Bishop Donovan made first visit to Holy Trinity.


Sept. – Search committee formed to find a priest.

1985


April 10 – Long-range committee met with Archdeacon Milwee to recommend the site at Barcelona and Carmona Roads for the home of Holy Trinity Church.


May 18 – Last day for Fr. McLean as priest-in-charge

1986
Jan. 14 – Annual meeting was held at Coronado Center and several outreach projects were started.
Feb. 1 – The Rev. Thomas Sifford celebrated his first Eucharistic service at Holy Trinity.
June 14 – Fr. Tom was inducted as our vicar by Bishop Donovan.
July – Trinity Episcopal Church in Pine Bluff, AR, donated a used altar.
Sept. 26 – Ground breaking for the church building
Dec. 19 – Diocesan Architectural Committee approved the plans for the church building.

1988
May 15 – First service for Holy Trinity Church was celebrated in its own building.

1990
March 27 – Jack and Harriet McDermott came from Milwaukee, and he was appointed deacon assistant.

1992
July 14 – Jack Reed was appointed chairman of Long-Range Planning Committee.

1995
Groundbreaking ceremony for new building addition with Bishop Larry Maze

1996
Sept. 8 – New worship facility was dedicated and consecrated with Bishop Maze officiating.

1997
Aug. 31 – Father Tom Sifford retired.

1998
Father Jim McLean was again appointed vicar.

2000
March – Holy Trinity became a parish.
March 9 – New stained glass windows (Stations of the Cross) were blessed and the original church became Sifford Hall.

2003
Lorrie Slaymaker was appointed priest associate

2005
Feb. – Mortgage was paid off and burned at the church picnic

2006
Dec. – Father McLean retired

2007
Jan.–June – Father Jim Davis was interim minister.
Aug. 18 – Final stained-glass windows (Resurrection Windows) installed over the altar.
July – The Rev. Richard Biega became priest-in-charge.

2009
Aug. – Father Rich Biega appointed rector.

2013

Jan. – Father Rich Biega retired.
Dec. 1 – Fr. Neil Kaminski became our rector.

WHO WE ARE
WEEKLY SCHEDULE

SUNDAY
8:00 a.m.  - Holy Eucharist

9:00 a.m.  - Sunday Forum
10:30 a.m. - Holy Eucharist

WEDNESDAY
9:00 a.m.  - Healing service & Holy Eucharist
9:45 a.m.  - Bible study

11:30 a.m. - Brown Bag Lunch (BBL) - Bible study

FIRST FRIDAY (1st Fri. of month only)
8:30 a.m. - Holy Eucharist, followed by breakfast

                   and prayer group

SATURDAY
5:00 p.m. - Holy Eucharist

CONTACT US

Office hours: 9 am to 2 pm M-F

501-922-0299

htoffice@suddenlinkmail.com

199 Barcelona Road

Hot Springs Village, AR 71909